Personal Corrections

Personal Corrections

Get errors on your Equifax credit report investigated to make sure your Equifax credit profile is accurate and up to date - at no cost to you

Read FAQs about corrections and credit repair

Download "What you need to know" (PDF)

If you have a copy of your Equifax credit report and you think there is something wrong, it is important you get this investigated. Why? The information on your Equifax credit report impacts your Equifax Score and can contribute to whether or not you might be accepted for a loan, credit card or a credit account such as a mobile phone or electricity contract.


What to do if there is a mistake on your credit report

  • image description

    Contact the credit provider

    If the error relates to a credit facility that you have or have applied for, you should contact the credit provider, such as the bank, telco or utility company that the error relates to and ask that it be investigated to amend the information on your Equifax credit report. Equifax has a list of most credit provider contacts to help you contact the creditor directly.

  • image description

    Contact Equifax

    Equifax offers a free service to investigate the accuracy of information on your Equifax credit report that is in dispute or you think needs correcting.

    Here's how it works:

    1. Submit your request online

    The more information you can provide, the quicker we can investigate. If you are requesting the correction on behalf of someone else, please also include the requester's details in addition to yours.

    You can also request a correction by mail by sending your request to:

    Equifax – Public Access
    Equifax Australia Information Services and Solutions Pty Limited
    GPO Box 964

    You will need to include the following identification information:

    • Name
    • Date of Birth
    • Current address
    • Previous address
    • Driver License
    • Current Employment

    You will also need to provide details of the correction required. Please include:

    • Details of the entry being disputed; including any account reference numbers and the name of the credit provider who listed it.
    • The reason for disputing the entry
    • Any relevant documentation

    2. Equifax investigates

    Once we receive your correction request, we will provide you with written confirmation that it has been received. Our Customer Resolutions team will investigate your request within 30 days and provide a response to you in writing. We may, however, notify you that there is a delay and seek to extend this time if we have not concluded our investigation.

    If all relevant information is provided it could be as simple as us making the necessary amendment e.g. updating a default to ‘paid’ or deleting a judgement.

    3. Equifax contacts the credit provider

    If necessary we will contact the credit provider on your behalf to have them verify the accuracy, or otherwise, of the correction request.

    4. Equifax reviews the credit provider's response

    Equifax will then review the information given by the credit provider and make any amendments, if any, to the entry(ies) on your Equifax credit report.

    5. Equifax finalises the investigation

    We will notify you in writing what the result of our investigation is. If a correction is required, Equifax will send you a letter notifying you that the correction has been made. Equifax will also issue you with an updated copy of your Equifax credit report.

    If a correction is made to your credit report, Equifax will notify any credit providers who have received a copy of your Equifax credit report within the three months prior to the correction being made, in accordance with its obligations under the Credit Reporting Code. Equifax will do this automatically at the time the correction is made.

    If a correction is not made, Equifax will write to you setting out in detail the outcome of its investigation and why the requested correction(s) has not been made. In the case of consumer credit information we will also send you a 'What You Need to Know' brochure which sets out your rights under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) if you are unhappy with the outcome of the investigation by Equifax.

  • image description

    Be wary of 'credit repair' style organisations

    Think twice before paying for the services of a company that claims they can “repair” your credit report or credit history.

    Some companies claim to be able to remove negative information from your credit report and charge you to do so. This can often cost over $1,000 and it is likely you are required to pay up front.

    Free services available to help

    By contacting your credit provider or a credit reporting body they can investigate the disputed credit information for free and correct information on your credit report if it is inaccurate. If you are still unsure on what to do, you can also ask a financial counsellor or community legal service for advice.

    In addition, if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of an investigation by the credit reporting body or credit provider you can utilise the services of the Ombudsman to which the credit provider or credit reporting body is a member. They provide their services free to consumers. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), Credit and Investments Ombudsman Service (CIO) and Telecommunications Ombudsman Service (TIO) all operate Australia-wide. Each Australian State also has a Water and Energy Industry Ombudsman (e.g. EWON in NSW, and EWOV in VIC).

Want to dispute or correct information on your Equifax business credit report?

Free help is available

Learn more